In Memory of Helena Kemp .... A Thrice Blessed Momma

Thrice Blessed Momma” was a wonderful Mother, and she was my friend. My friend from a far, and I miss her greatly. Not only was she my friend, but she was a friend to others as well, to a lot of people that grew to know her, and especially to those in the world of blogging and the groups that she belonged to.

She left behind her beautiful triplets, Madison, Zoe and Jonathan, age five. They were the loves of her life, and she never hesitated to tell the world of her love for them.

This tribute is for her young children, who have lost both their parents at such a young age. Please leave a “kind word” to Helena and Andrew's children, so that when they grow up …. they’ll know the hearts that their Mother touched, …. or simply leave them a message, a prayer or a kind thought here.

Tuesday, February 26, 2008

~ A Jewish Momma's Chicken Soup ~

When I began blogging this past year, your Momma was one of the very first friends I met.

Visiting her blog, I felt the very special love she had for each of you, and that love blanketed you with warmth, comfort and happiness. Your Momma didn't just share her love with you. We were all blessed to share a part of that blanket.

Shortly after I started posting, I took ill with a virus and she posted to me: "Cynthia, you need to listen to your Jewish Momma. You need chicken soup. Preferably homemade, but canned will do in a pinch. The thing is, with canned, it's not made with love, so it takes much more of their soup to cure an illness. Homemade chicken soup works so well because it's made with lots of love. Oh yeah, and you gotta have more than one chicken in the soup, if you're really that sick. The sicker you are, the more chickens and love needed for a complete cure.This is true. Know how I know? Because my Dad told me so, and daddies never lie to their little girls. At least my Daddy never lied to me. And my Bubbie (Jewish grandma) told me that, too. So you see, it must be true. So - in true Jewish Momma fashion - eat, eat. It'll make you feel better. Trust me."

I remember reading her words and thinking, "My Sweet Jewish Momma, how dear you are to me." Later Helena posted that you three and herself had been down with the flu. She told how her homeade chicken soup was gone, as she had fed it all to you and made you better. Now she was down and no chicken soup on hand. She told of the chicken soup her Daddy made. This was not just a recipe of ingredients, but a recipe of Love.

Zoe, Madison and Jonathon, your Momma's love still blankets you in warmth. Her love for you will never go away, and you will always be comforted. When you miss your Momma, feel sad or lonely; make yourself some chicken soup; with lots of chicken. Just as I know your Momma's chicken soup was made with not just her love, but also her Daddy's.

Your soup will be flavored with not just the Love you add. It will be rich with your Momma's love. And smile each day, knowing, there are many of us who are making chicken soup, with lots of chicken, and your Momma is adding her Love to it also.

Cynthia Martinez